The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has created a series of industry-specific guidance to help prevent the spread of Covid-19. While many industries have closed due to the shelter-in-place order, many industries have remained open and continue to work while following protective guidelines and by taking cautious measures.
OSHA has compiled the following tips for employers in the construction industry to help reduce the risk of employee exposure to Covid-19:
- Encourage employees to stay home if they experience any symptoms of Covid-19.
- Provide and recommend Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) to employees (e.g., face masks, gloves, face shields) and hand sanitizing stations or hand washing stations.
- Ensure hand sanitizers are alcohol-based with at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Use cleaning products from the Environmental Protection Agency’s approved list that protect against the Coronavirus.
- Maintain social distancing by staying 6 feet apart and avoiding close contact with fellow workers.
- Train employees how to properly wear and remove PPE.
- Encourage and teach respiratory etiquette (e.g., covering coughs and sneezes) and personal hygiene.
- For shared tools and equipment, provide alcohol-based wipes and advise workers to clean the tools before and after each use.
- Limit the use of in-person meetings or limit the length of the meetings while using social distancing methods.
- Implement a worker safety program to ensure workers are reporting any safety and health concerns.
- Clean communal toilets and portable jobsite toilets regularly.
- Fill hand sanitizer dispensers regularly and keep a touch-free system if possible.
- Keep up to date with OSHA and CDC’s guidelines for any changes or updates.
Through our decades of experience in the construction and legal industries, we have the knowledge and experience needed to efficiently and effectively address any legal situation that might arise. For help with construction-related OSHA matters, please call (312) 894-3322 or fill out our contact form.